- When you identify that you need to set a limit with someone, do it clearly, preferably without anger.
- You cannot simultaneously set a boundary and take care of another's feelings.
- You will probably feel embarrassed or afraid when you set boundaries. Do it anyway.
- Plan on being tested when you set boundaries. It doesn't do any good to set a boundary until you are ready to enforce it.
- Be prepared to follow through acting congruently with your boundaries. “What you do needs to match what you say.”